Every April, the three Moviewallas arrive into New York City with gleaming eyes and smiles that won’t rub off our faces. We arrive to soak our needing bones in the offerings of the Tribeca Film Festival, wanting for good cinema since the end of the awards season earlier in the year.
This year our schedules dictated that we caught the back end of the film festival; we usually attend the festival in the early part. Being based in San Diego, and juggling other jobs, we can make it to New York for about a week every year, even though our hearts ache for more time at the festival. After having watched four, five, six films a day, our bodies start to exhaust, our droopy eyes start to crave for the littlest sleep, and we may start to lose a dash of the spring in our steps. But the greedy mind and the selfish heart wants for more films, but we have to turn around and leave.
Coming into the latter half of the festival, we worried a little this year that we might not be able to catch as many films as in the past. We feared that the best films will have already had their press screenings earlier in the festival. Turns out our worries were in vain; amongst the three of us, we watched 25 films at the festival. Upon returning back to San Diego, we rested our press badges with pride at our recording studio; it was another fulfilling year at Tribeca.
So as in every year, herewith is a full listing of all 29 films we covered at #tribeca2018. All of them were discussed during our four live from New York podcasts. And as always, before the alphabetical listing of all of the films we covered, here are the top festival favourites from each of the three Moviewallas.
Joe’s Top Films from the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival
Rashmi’s Top Films from the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival
Yazdi’s Top Films from the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival
And here is a full alphabetical listing of the films we covered at #tribeca2018 with links to the Tribeca film descriptions as well as to the specific podcast where each film was discussed:
- BOBBY KENNEDY FOR PRESIDENT, Day 1 podcast at 2:45 minutes
- DEAD WOMEN WALKING, Day 4 podcast at 16:20 minutes, Rashmi and Yazdi’s Top Tribeca pick
- DIANE, Day 4 podcast at 45:30 minutes, Yazdi’s Top Tribeca pick
- EGG, Day 2 podcast at 29:05 minutes
- ENHANCED, Day 2 podcast at 23:15 minutes
- IN A RELATIONSHIP, Day 2 podcast at 4:05 minutes
- IT’S A HARD TRUTH AIN’T IT, Day 1 podcast at 33:45 minutes
- MAPPLETHORPE, Day 4 podcast at 30:55 minutes
- MARY SHELLEY, Day 3 podcast at 42:35 minutes
- NIGERIAN PRINCE, Day 2 podcast at 40:40 minutes
- OBEY, Day 4 podcast at 36:15 minutes, Joe’s Top Tribeca Pick
- SATAN & ADAM, Day 3 podcast at 25:35 minutes
- SAY HER NAME: THE LIFE AND DEATH OF SANDRA BLAND, Day 1 podcast at 17:20 minutes
- STUDIO 54, Day 3 podcast at 11:15 minutes, Rashmi’s Top Tribeca Pick
- THE AMERICAN MEME, Day 3 podcast at 31:45 minutes
- THE BLEEDING EDGE, Day 2 podcast at 11:50 minutes
- THE DARK, Day 4 podcast at 25:15 minutes
- THE ELEPHANT AND THE BUTTERFLY, Day 3 podcast at 17:40 minutes, Joe and Yazdi’s Top Tribeca Pick
- THE FEELING OF BEING WATCHED, Day 3 podcast at 2:10 minutes
- THE FOURTH ESTATE, Day 4 podcast at 5:30 minutes
- THE GREAT PRETENDER, Day 1 podcast at 13:45 minutes
- THE PARTY’S JUST BEGINNING, Day 1 podcast at 28:20 minutes
- TINY SHOULDERS: RETHINKING BARBIE, Day 1 podcast at 8:00 minutes
- TO DUST, Day 1 podcast at 23:15 minutes
- UNTOGETHER, Day 2 podcast at 51:15 minutes
Until the year next, goodbye Tribeca!